Tuesday 19 January 2016

Back at the craft table

So, the table is in use with the first skirmish in a minor campaign as a test.  Of course, in parallel, I am working on nineteen things at once, trying to get more done before tiredness overtakes me. 

I'm pretty happy with the churchyard, now.  I wanted an uneven English style hedge and some suggestion of old gravestones.  The current tile is 90% done.

I want to add a tree beside the porch but that will be about it. I may add something on the other side of the road if only fencing or a low wall. 

I have been trying to create some tiles and stands of trees, too.  I want to be able to scatter woodland or just a few trees on the table without committing too much space. These two are a tile and half tile, the latter being designed as some kind of overgrown feature, perhaps an old redoubt or some building, swallowed by the wood.

Currently, I am working on another tree scatter in the form of a small slope, a low desert hill/ridge and a proper redoubt that can double as a foxhole.  Under consideration is a quarry. That could be a colourful challenge with steep paper mache sides and an old pool.

By contrast, I am currently painting some ancients.  I have been putting together some classic Greek armies with a mix of spearmen, auxiliary swordsmen, psiloi and light cavalry.  I have a few chariots and other troops, too so it ought to be possible to compose Spartan, Athenian and others as well as Theban for whom I have a full army count.  I also recently acquired a whole (minimal) Persian army of the period to enable that classic match up. I hope to put some of those on the table, soon.

I am planning something else for the players' next campaign.  That can wait for now to be revealed but suffice to say that colourful armies are ready and waiting in the wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment