Monday 9 November 2015

Getting things back together

Having set out to be ambitious and run a campaign spanning the world and involving so many potential players, I needed to get my stuff back in order.

It had been quite some years since I last had an operational wargames table and even longer since all the scenery and add ons had been collected together.  I knew I had lost several buildings and tiles which were destroyed while I was at University.  I also knew that the remaining table pieces, split in two, were not sturdy enough for the new setup.

For some time, I had plans to convert the garage into a kind of den with pool table, darts board, subuteo table, sporting memorabilia and a fridge full of beer.   This had begun but now things had to be moved up at a faster pace as the wargames table needed to join the options.

I would also need more pin boards and map space.

OK, wargame table configurations sorted. I had three suitable pieces that could be moved about into different layouts and all three offered enough space, particularly as in one, you only just had room to squeeze around the right side (as seen from this end).

To turn the room into a suitable ops centre for controlling the campaign, there were other resources required.

Magnetic maps and pin boards.  Pinning up the first encounter area and finding the pins to represent the forces immediately in the theatre, my enthusiasm started to bubble up.  This could definitely work.

Over the next few days and weeks, I had to find players to provide orders and direction and start rebuilding my resources.

Some years ago, I had sold off quite a large chunk of my collection, believing I would never actually use it again.  Now, wanting to revive one of my favourite pasttimes and the armies that I had, I knew I had a lot of work ahead and some investment, too.

In addition, a wargames table looks nothing without scenery, urban through to uninhabited regions being the settings for clashes.

I had decided that I would also fight up to 1/32 scale to enable me to use my favourite figures and not simply constrain myself to 1/72 or 00 and 1/300 scale battlefields. That meant a lot of what would go on the table would have to be symbolic but that would make it easier as I could be liberal with scale as long as the rules addressed that.

With a number of tasks identified, I pressed ahead :)


No comments:

Post a Comment