Wednesday 11 November 2015

Some background reading

Back in the library, I was pulling books from the military history and wargames shelf.  A glance through David Nash's handy paperback to check on uniforms (and the web) got me cracking on a Japanese squad.

I re-read "Pacific Onslaught" to get a feel for the battles that raged across the Pacific islands. I didn't touch Midway or the Pacific War books. I know the naval engagements too well.  I pulled in a couple of additional books, one of which is William Stirling's "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" a first hand account from someone who was a journalist in Germany at the outbreak of war. It was one of Mum & Dad's (thanks Mum).  That reminded me that dad also had A.J.P. Taylor's account of the period. I might have to borrow that, too.

Now I had to sit down and revise some rules I had for land engagements based on what I learned playing the excellent and detailed Yaquinto WW2 warfare games.  I bet Rob, one of my old opponents would have smiled if he saw what I picked up and looked over yesterday in a collectibles shop - a German Nashorn.  We did so much damage with that self-propelled gun in battles on the tabletop.  Sadly, the chap on the counter couldn't find which seller it had been put out by and with no price, I left it behind.  I did get a Chance-Vought Corsair at my next stop which put a smile back on my face.

I also spent some time poring over my Janes Fighting Ships 1940 edition, checking the actual details of the key ships that were about to engage in action.  Fabulous source, that old tome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment